Become a Volunteer on the NBC-HIS Item Writer Committee
NBC-HIS has a wonderful opportunity for highly-motivated professionals to share their hearing healthcare knowledge and expertise on the Item Writer Committee.
NBC-HIS provides committee members training to assist them in this important volunteer role. The committee meets approximately two to three times annually (face-to-face and virtually) to contribute to exam development activities.
All participants must:
- be board certified;
- have a minimum of two (2) years of full-time dispensing experience within the last five (5) years;
- have a current State/Provincial license or Certificate of Registration (where applicable) that allows for the dispensing of hearing aids; and
- have a passport or appropriate documentation for travel to/from the U.S. and Canada.
Item writers will be trained and mentored in how to develop well-constructed exam items. Travel expenses will be paid by NBC-HIS.
Under the guidance of the standards for the accreditation of certification programs created by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies, NBC-HIS is seeking a representative sample of hearing healthcare providers to include a range of dispensing experience, job settings, geographic regions, cultural, ethnic and gender diversity for members of this committee.
Roles & Responsibilities of the NBC-HIS Item Writers Committee
The Item Writer Committee meets at least once a year and each committee member is expected to be in attendance. If an Item Writer Committee member misses consecutive virtual or in-person meetings, their participation will be reviewed by the Committee Chair.
Procedures for the Item Writer Committee:
- Under psychometric guidance: write, review, and recommend test items for inclusion in the National Competency Exam (NCE) Item Bank.
- Review items for content, appropriate level of difficulty, accuracy, and scope as related to the current competency model.
- Participate in virtual and in-person training led by the psychometric partner.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all examination and meeting content and execute Non-Disclosure Agreement annually, or as requested.
If you have any questions or problems submitting your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 734-522-2900.